Driver jailed after hit and run on A92

Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court Pic Neil Hanna
Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court Pic Neil Hanna

A driver was jailed on Tuesday after he smashed a biker into the central reservation of a dual carriageway before speeding off in his high powered car.

Andrew Watson, of Lady Nairne Road, Dunfermline, left Mark Hoskisson with horrific injuries in the crash on the A92 near Kirkcaldy - but later claimed he had no idea he had caused the smash.

Watson had sped up to the Bankhead roundabout in his blue Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 before pulling out in front of a bin lorry - avoiding a collision by just three metres.

He then careered across the roundabout, with witnesses describing him as “straight lining” it - ignoring road markings and speeding straight across.

As he rejoined the main carriageway Mr Hoskisson - the owner of an engineering firm - was overtaking a service bus on his Kawasaki motorcycle.

Watson smashed into him, sending Mr Hoskisson flying across the tarmac towards the central reservation.

But instead of stopping Watson simply put his foot down and sped off as shocked motorists pulled over to come to the biker’s aid.

Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court was told Watson was “running late and in a hurry” to get home to his children when he caused the smash.

A sheriff told Watson his “gross and deliberate bad driving” meant only a jail term was appropriate.

Mr Hoskisson was left with a punctured lung, fractured pelvis, fractured shoulder blade and fractured ribs.

He has been left permanently impaired by the smash and has had to hire two staff at his firm to take over the duties he used to undertake.

Watson laid low for two days as police hunted him - alerting media and using Facebook to spread the word about the crash.

Fiscal depute Susan Armstrong told Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court that Watson had eventually handed himself into police two days later.

She said: “He indicated to police that he was aware of the motorcycle being at the scene and having heard a bang after he passed it but not being aware he had collided with it.

“He conceded that he may have lost control at the roundabout and was possibly accelarating to exessive speed as he passed the bus involved.”

Describing the crash, the prosecutor added: “Witnesses considered the accused was driving at excessive speeds.

“He had to brake for a car in lane two at the roundabout.

“At that time a bin lorry was approaching from round the roundabout around three to four metres from the junction.

“At that point the accused accelarated hard and pulled out in front of the lorry, which didn’t have time to brake and instead had to take evasive action.

“The driver of the lorry saw the Subaru Impreza straight line the roundabout at speeds of 50 to 60mph.

“The accused lost traction with the road as a result of the harsh accelaration and continued on to the main road.

“The accused struck the complainer around 50 metres up the main road.

“The Subaru was described as travelling at excessive speed and still accelarating.

“The complainer was thrown from the motorcycle towards the central reservation, while the motorcycle narrowly avoided the bus.

“The Subaru Impreza continued to accelarate and travelled south on the road making no attempt to slow down or stop.”

Watson (36), pleaded guilty on indictment to charges of dangerous driving and failing to stop at the scene of the crash on April 5 last year.

Christine Hagan, defending, said: “He was running late to collect his children having left his wife in Edinburgh and gone to do an errand for work in Ladybank.

“It is accepted he was driving far too fast in a powerful car.

“He is very remorseful for the impact this has had on the victim’s life.”

Sheriff Jamie Gilchrist QC jailed Watson for nine months and banned him from the road for 27 months.

He said: “You had no proper control of your vehicle.

“You accelarated with no proper regard for the presence of Mark Hoskisson.

“After colliding with him you made no attempt to find out what had happened and took a delicerate decision to drive on without stopping.

“That comes close to wilful blindness.

“The combination of the deliberate bad driving and the gross nature of it in deciding not to stop leads me to conclude only a prison sentence is appropriate.”