A DYSART woman has told of her shock at her neighbour being found dead following a fire in the block of flats where they both lived.
Marlyn Lindsay (60), of Quality Street, was unaware, for almost eight hours, that Robert Ednie (51), of 22 Quality Street, was found dead by firefighters just after 3.00 a.m. on Friday morning.
It’s understood officers from Fife Fire and Rescue Service tackled a small bedroom fire at the ground floor property and found Mr Ednie dead.
They had been called to the block in the early hours of the morning after a smell of smoke was reported.
Fife Police also attended on Friday morning and officers stayed outside during the day but it is not yet known if Mr Ednie died as a result of the fire or had passed away beforehand.
The bedroom window, at the rear of the property, was visibly burned.
Marlyn who lived directly next door to Mr Ednie said she must have slept through the entire incident.
She told The Press: “It’s lucky the whole place didn’t go up as I was next door and I never heard the (smoke) alarm go off and didn’t wake up at all.
“I didn’t really know him. I’ve been here 10 years and he didn’t mix with people.
“He used to speak to some neighbours but they passed away a while back.
“The only time I ever saw him was when he was coming in with his messages, he just nodded.
“He was the type of man who liked his own company.”
It is thought Mr Ednie lived alone but worked in a call-centre and was one of triplets.
Fife Police has appealed for witnesses to contact them on the non-emergency number 101.
In a statement a spokesman said: “We are in the early stages of an investigation after the body of a man was found.
“The circumstances of the death are as yet unknown and enquiries are continuing.”