Fears after yobs start fire in stairwell fire

The entry door in the stairwell has been left insecure for two years.
The entry door in the stairwell has been left insecure for two years.
Share this article

A KIRKCALDY resident believes her life could have been at risk after yobs gained access to the stairwell inside her flat block and started a fire.

The incident happened as a result of the secure entry door not working for the past two-and-a-half years.

There has also been no lighting in the stairwell during that same period.

Enid Hunter, who lives in the top floor property inside the two-flat block in Greenloanings, said: “I saw someone had been in the close and had started a fire.

‘‘I phoned the police and they got in touch with the Council. The tiles had been burned and there was a strong smell of smoke. Then asbestos was mentioned and I was told I had to leave my flat.

“Luckily I was able to get back into my flat the next day, but it could have been dangerous - what if I had been inside my flat when the fire was started and I could not get out?

‘‘None of this would have happened had the secure entry door been working.”

Ms Hunter said the reason the Council had not been able to fix the security entry door is because the electricity box is inside the flat below hers, which is privately owned, and has been unoccupied.

She said: “I don’t know why the box is inside the flat downstairs - it should be somewhere where it can be easily accessed.”

She added: “I notice there is someone moving into the property so hopefully the situation can soon be resolved.”

Russell Gray, Fife Council lead officer for housing maintenance and improvements, said: “We are aware of this issue and apologise for any inconvenience caused. We have again arranged access with the owner of the property for Scottish Power to carry out the repair; this should resolve the problem.

“We now have a private sector housing team which liaises directly with owners on repairs. They are also responsible for enforcing any legislation where there is non-compliance from owners.”