Fife antiques business thanks quick-thinking gas engineer who thwarted firebugs

An antiques warehouse in Fife narrowly escaped being gutted by fire last night - thanks to the quick actions of a gas engineer on his break.

Tuesday, 24th May 2022, 12:02 pm

When firebugs set a caravan used for storage alight at Home treasures Ltd in Methil, they were being watched by a SGN engineer from his van.

The whole incident was captured clearly on CCTV.

Myra Philp, director of the antique and secondhand goods business, said: "If it hadn't been for the SGN engineer we would have totally lost our business.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Firefighters at the scene of the blaze (Pic: Home Treasures Ltd)

"He dialled 999 and thankfully it looks like only a part of the guttering melted off the building.

Read More

Read More
Fire crews tackle blaze at landmark Kirkcaldy building

"If he hadn't been there to raise the alarm so quickly the warehouse would have gone up.

"He told me he got a proper shock but was able to give police a brilliant statement.

The fire gutted a caravan next to the business (Pic: Home Treasures Ltd)

The business, in Sea Rd has been established for nine years.

It is now assessing the cost of the clear up operation.