Fire warning after call outs

Stephen Thomson, station manager, urged people to check for CE marks on things like e-cigarettes and phone chargers
Stephen Thomson, station manager, urged people to check for CE marks on things like e-cigarettes and phone chargers

The station manager at Methil Fire Station has issued a warning to local residents following a number of call outs relating faulty electrical equipment.

In the first six months of 2015, Methil fire crews attended seven incidents which involved the misuse of electrical equipment or faulty appliances. Station manager Stephen Thomson said these kinds of fires can be avoided by following some simple steps.

“Always use the right fuse and never overload sockets. Never run electrical cables under carpets and don’t try to repair or re-join cables with insulating tape - you should just replace the entire cable.”

He continued: “You should always switch off and unplug appliances that aren’t designed to be left switched on, especially at night when you are sleeping or when you are out of the house.”

Stephen said there is also an emerging issue with regards to the charging of mobile phones and e-cigarettes, and advised people that they should always look out for the CE mark which indicates that the product is compliant with European Safety Standards.

He added: “You should always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and heed any warnings supplied with the product.

“Ensure that e-cigarettes or mobile phones are not left charging for long periods of time and don’t leave them plugged in overnight or whilst out of the house.”