Flat fire in Anstruther caused by stacked logs

Police are investigatin the incident
Police are investigatin the incident

Firefighters were called to a fire in flat in St Andrews Road, Anstruther yesterday evening (December 28).

Operations Control Thornton received a call at 6.09p.m. and mobilised appliances from Anstruther, Lochgelly and Methil to the incident.

Firefighters extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and ventilated the living room.

The fire was caused by stacked logs in close proximity to a wood burning stove.

Station Manager Iain Brocklebank said: “This incident is a reminder to not stack logs or place any other combustible materials immediately adjacent to a stove, boiler or heater and keep the door closed.

“Never dry clothes or place materials near and secure them in a position to avoid being knocked over.

“More importantly get a smoke alarm as they give you that vital early warning should a fire start. We provide free home fire safety visits and fit smoke alarms where required.”

If you or someone you know may be at risk from fire get in touch with Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a FREE home fire safety visit with local firefighters by calling 0800 0731 999 or visit www.firescotland.gov.uk .

For more safety information visit /your-safety/winter-safety/wood-burningsolid-fuel-stoves.aspx