The Crichton statue
At the top of a hill overlooking Cupar Railway Station stands the imposing figure of David Maitland Makgill Crichton.
The statue was unveiled in 1862 in recognition of the efforts Crichton made on behalf of Cuparians during the construction of the railway.
The Edinburgh and Northern Railway Company had planned a level crossing over the line, but he fought for a bridge, later known as South Bridge, as he was concerned for the safety of townsfolk.
Over the years, the C-listed statue fell into disrepair, losing fingers and even part of its nose, and was patched up with cement until in 2011 the Cupar and North Fife Preservation stepped in and spearheaded a fund-raising campaign.
With contributions from Fife Council and the Railway Heritage Trust among others, the statue underwent a major facelift.
Born at Rankeillor in 1801, Crichton was a free Kirk man and a radical politician, widely-known for his oratorial skills.
Ill health forced him to give up his religious and political activities in his early 40s, and he died in 1851, aged just 50.