The Scottish Polish Friendship monument was unveiled on the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem, in which many of those who were trained in Leven and Largo as part of the First Independent Polish Parachute Brigade, fought.
Hundreds of local people turned out for the event, and General Stanislaw Sosabowski, who trained and led the troops, was the guest of honour with his wife Madame Sosabowska.
Local children Micha Czyzewska and Graeme Paterson were given pride of place at the opening ceremony to symbolise the bond between Polands and Scotland.
The monument, which sits at the front of Leven’s Festival Gardens, is inscribed with the words ‘To Commemorate the Scottish-Polish friendship begun in 1940-1944 when the First Independent Polish Parachute Brigade was formed and trained in Leven and district. This monument was unveiled on the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem September 1964 Za Wolnoso For Freedom’.
That monument has now been complemented with a second memorial to those who fought at Arnhem, created by David Mach and unveiled in September 2014.