The Working Men
A bronze statue in Rothes Halls, Glenrothes stands to commemorate the town’s links to the mining industry.
‘The Working Men’ was commissioned in 1993 by the local authority and was created by local artist and sculpture Malcolm Robertson.
From 1978 onwards, Malcolm Robertson was chosen to develop the Town Art of Glenrothes following on from the town’s first artist, David Harding.
It was considered to be important to involve local people in the creation of the work.
The town of Glenrothes was planned in the late 1940s as one of Scotland’s first post-second world war new towns.
Its original purpose was to house miners who were to work at a newly established coal mine, the Rothes Colliery.
This ‘Super Pit’ was officially opened by the Queen in 1957. At its peak it employed over 1500 miners.
However, in 1961 the mine closed as a result of unstemmable flooding and geological problems.
The statue reflects back to a time when Glenrothes as a town, was at its peak in terms of industry.