Volunteers Green in Kirkcaldy was officially opened as a landmark in 1993 with the unveiling of a plaque by Kirkcaldy Civic Society and Kirkcaldy District Council.
The landscaped garden is all that remains of the nine acres of common moorland which was given to the town’s residents by King Charles 1 in 1644 when Kirkcaldy became a royal burgh.
The land was originally donated to townfolk for the purposes of “recreation and the bleaching and drying of linen,” and was widely used for these pursuits for centuries.
The area has been known as Volunteers Green since 1859 when military volunteers met there for drill practices and exercises.
During this time there was a battery comprising four canons as part of the town’s coastal defences. The volunteers eventually left the area in 1901, and it continued to be used for recreational and clothes drying purposes into the early half of the century.
In 1972 plans to create a multi-storey car park sparked massive opposition, with a petition attracting over 1800 signatures. It also brought about the formation of Kirkcaldy Civic Society.