Set in the heart of St Andrews’ Market Street, the Whyte-Melville fountain commemorates Major George Whyte Melville.
Lady Catherine Melville ordered its erection in 1880, in memory of her son George Whyte Melville – novelist, soldier and horseman – who was killed in a riding accident in 1878.
He obtained a commission as a major in the Turkish Irregular Cavalry in the Crimea when war broke out in 1854.
George captained the R&A in 1851, following in his father’s footsteps - known as the ‘father of the Club’, John Whyte Melville was a member for 67 years, elected captain in 1823 and 1883, although he died before taking office in 1883, and the position was left vacant in his honour.
Out of action for many years, it is hoped the fountain will flow again this summer.