This unassuming plaque and memorial sits under a tree in a quiet spot near the railway station on Forth Avenue, Kirkcaldy.
It was erected by Kirkcaldy District Council and Friends of the International Brigades in May 1980 and September 1986. It was later rededicated on April 4, 2009.
It commemorates those men from the town and district who joined the International Brigade and went to fight in the Spanish Civil War.
The inscription on the plaque reads, somewhat poetically:
“To honour the memory of those who went from The Lothians and Fife to serve in the war in Spain, 1936 - 1939.
Not to a fanfare of trumpets
Nor even the skirl o’ the pipes
Not for the off’r of a shilling
Nor to see their names up in lights
Their call was a cry of anguish
From the hearts of the people of Spain
Some paid with their lives it is true
Their sacrifice was not in vain.”
It is believed to be one of only two such memorials commemorating the Spanish Civil War to exist in Scotland.