CUPAR and the Howe of Fife’s French connection was cemented during a weekend of celebrations in Sainte Ménehould.
A delegation of 27 people travelled to France from Fife to witness the reciprocal signing of the twinning charter following its formalising in Cupar last year.
The party, led by twinning association chair John Vaughan, included representatives from Elmwood College, Cupar Arts, Cupar Rotary Club, U3A (Cupar), Fisher and Donaldson, Cupar Choral Society, St Columba’s Church and School, Cupar Seniors Club, and members of the twinning committee.
Local chef Christopher Trotter, recently appointed as Fife’s food ambassador, also travelled with the party.
Fife Council was represented by Councillor Maggie Taylor and north east Fife locality manager Fiona Mitchell.
The group was entertained over the weekend of July 1-3 by families from the area who hosted most of the visitors in their own homes.
A packed itinerary kicked off on Friday with a buffet supper in a local village hall, with entertainment provided by young musicians.
Prior to the signing of the charter on Saturday, the group visited the First World War site at the Kaiser Tunnel followed by an al fresco lunch in an army outdoor catering kitchen.
There was then an opportunity for a town tour or to use the pedalos on the Aisne River.
Sunday morning was taken up by a tour of Valmy Mill — site of a battle between the French and the Prussians in 1792.
The battle resulted in an important French victory and prevented the Prussian advance on Paris. There are now plans to build a new museum on the site.
Throughout the weekend many ideas were proposed for future exchanges between the two communities, including a reciprocal visit within two years.
John Vaughan, chair of the twinning association, thanked everyone who travelled to France for making the weekend a great success and the French hosts for their organisation, friendship and hospitality during the stay in Sainte Ménehould.