Gale force winds batter St Andrews

Tree was uprooted on Hampden Close in Leuchars during Tuesday's high winds.
Tree was uprooted on Hampden Close in Leuchars during Tuesday's high winds.

Gale force winds battered St Andrews and the surrounding area earlier this week, uprooting trees as storms swept across the country.

On Monday, the Met Office issued a severe weather warning of high winds in excess of 90 mph for the following day.

By Tuesday morning the warning was upgraded from amber to red as the Tay and Forth Road Bridges were both forced to close owing to the treacherous conditions.

There were also reports of powercuts in Strathkinness, Balmullo and Largoward during the morning and the B939 was closed at Blebo Craigs owing to fallen trees on the road.

In Lamond Drive, St Andrews, a tree was blown over and blocked the path and a small part of the road.

A large eucalyptus tree came down in a garden in the town’s Hepburn Gardens on Tuersday morning, missing houses but causing damage to adjacent fences.

The owner of the property told the Citizen that the tree, blown down during the height of the storm, would need to be cut up and removed in sections.

In Leuchars, a large tree was uprooted in a garden in Hampden Close, narrowly missing a house.


Bins that had been left out for collection in St Andrews on Tuesday were also blown over in many parts of the town.

The high winds forced Fife Council to suspend bin collections and close recycling centres on Tuesday while teams were sent out to clear fallen trees.


Sara Wilson, roads technician engineer, told the Citizen: “We had 16 road closures across Fife and teams from transportation and parks and countryside services were out from 8am.

“They worked throughout the day and night to get roads and footpaths clear as quickly as they could.”

The majority of council offices were closed until Wednesday but a repair team was brought in to help deal with the volume of calls from the public about damage caused by the winds.

Around 150 jobs were reported to the building services team by 3pm on Tuesday

Fife Police said that travel had been disrupted by fallen trees and debris from buildings across Fife and advised postponing journeys or making alternative arrangements where possible.