Glenrothes killer who stabbed victim 171 times facing life sentence

Ewan Dow
Ewan Dow

A killer who stabbed his innocent victim 171 times will learn the length of his life sentence when he returns to the dock later this month.

Ewan Dow carried out the frenzied and unprovoked attack on Daniel Turner (21) – a man he called a “lovely lad”.

Dow had sent a Facebook message shortly before the horror that he was “about to murder a wee dafty”.

The victim’s mutilated corpse was later discovered in the park.

Dow pleaded guilty to murder at the High Court in Glasgow on Friday.

The court heard how he and the victim were known to each other, but were not friends.

On October 17 last year – hours before the killing – Dow was “argumentative and aggressive” at a flat in the town and asked to leave.

He then returned to his home before torching a pillow and calling a friend to say: “I’m going to jail. I’ve set fire to my house”.

Around midnight, Dow went to Mr Turner’s home.

Prosecutor Murdoch MacTaggart said Dow later became “increasingly erratic” and told everyone in the flat that he would assault them if they moved.

Others in the flat decided to leave, but, despite urging Mr Turner to go, he decided to stay.

Mr MacTaggart said Dow and Mr Turner at some point left the victim’s flat, but it was not known why.

The advocate depute added: “They walked to Riverside Park in Glenrothes, where the accused stabbed Daniel Turner to death.”

A dishevelled Dow later bizarrely went to a local Asda store, where he bought knives, a frying pan and a hooded top.

Dow claimed he had fallen and was trying to look “more presentable”.

He then went to a police station in Kirkcaldy, where he confessed: “A murder, last night, it was me, Glenrothes.”

He said he had “stabbed a boy” and that he had “left him for dead”.

Brian McConnachie, defending, said Dow had accepted his victim was totally innocent. He said Dow had been binge-drinking for a week and had “very limited recollection” of what happened.

Dow’s conviction has been welcomed by police officers, who said the murder was “unprecedented in the level of violence displayed”.

Detective Inspector Scott Cunningham, who led the investigation, said: “This was a mindless, unprovoked and brutal attack on a 21-year-old man.

“Ewan Dow’s frenzied and violent actions are unimaginable and clearly shows the behaviour of a person out of control.

“I welcome this plea which means the family do not need to go through the ordeal of a trial having suffered enough heartache.

“My thoughts are with Daniel’s family and I pay tribute to them for their dignity and strength shown throughout this tragedy and I sincerely hope this brings some form of closure to them.”

Lord Turnbull deferred sentence on Dow until January 29 for the preparation of reports and length of sentence considering the “ferocity and motiveless” knife attack.