Glenrothes man reunited with 999 lifesaving crew ...

Stuart Duncan with the ambulance crew of Philip Campbell, Brian Taylor, Sandy Higgins and Nigel Duncan.
Stuart Duncan with the ambulance crew of Philip Campbell, Brian Taylor, Sandy Higgins and Nigel Duncan.

A Glenrothes man held an emotional meeting this week with the ambulance crew which saved his life.

Stuart Duncan personally thanked each member of the ambulance team that raced to his house in Pitteuchar earlier this year when he suffered a heart attack.

It was the first time he had seen any of them since he was left fighting for his life on the morning of Monday, February 10.

Thankfully for Stuart, his wife Margaret quickly realised something was wrong and called for an ambulance straight away.

“I was lying beside him in the bed and he started making this gurgling noise,” she recalled.

“I thought he might be having a nightmare but then he didn’t seem to be breathing at all, so I lifted the phone straight away to call for help.

“His eyes were just kind of staring.

“I used to do a first aid course every three years when I was working so I managed to get Stuart on the floor but I didn’t know it was his heart at that stage.”

Margaret’s call to the ambulance service came in at 6.28 am, and, just four minutes later, crew members Brian Taylor and Philip Campbell were treating Stewart in his bedroom.

They administered six electric shocks from the defibrillator while treating him in the house and he received a further 30 in the ambulance and during his treatment at the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy and the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.

And for paramedic Philip Campbell, meeting Stuart and his family was a rare opportunity to take in just how valuable his work is.

“It makes it all worthwhile,” he explained.

“We get quite a lot of positive comments and it is nice to hear but it is something we are supposed to be doing.”

Stuart’s heart attack came as a huge shock.

The 57-year-old social work assistant has always taken care of himself and ran more than 20 miles over the weekend before the heart attack.

And his family wanted to publicise what happened to Stuart in order to highlight the lifesaving work that is carried out every day by all the staff of the ambulance service.

“We really can’t ever thank them enough,” Margaret explained.

“I did as much as I could and just when I didn’t know what to do next the ambulance crew arrived and took over.

“They came to our house like angels in disguise.

“We should never take them for granted because you never know when you might need them and they are always there for us.”