Gun fan said he would show up at school

A GUN enthusiast sent terrifying messages to a woman he met on a dating site '“ telling her he could see her through a rifle scope from miles away and was going to turn up at a school where he thought she worked.

Wednesday, 20th June 2018, 5:31 pm
Updated Wednesday, 20th June 2018, 5:37 pm
Kevin McLean.

Kevin McLean, from Lochgelly, began chatting to Karen Traill via with the pair later exchanging numbers and conversing through WhatsApp.

But he later left Miss Traill so terrified she went to police after telling her he was equipped with 10 guns and two bulletproof vests and could watch her from “miles away”.

McLean then added that he “loved shooting targets” and threatened to turn up at Bell Baxter High School, where she used to work – leaving her “scared” for the safety of her and pupils at the school.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bell Baxter High School.

McLean’s lawyer said: “He accepts this is a serious matter – especially given the numerous school shootings that seem to occur on a regular basis in the US.”

Fiscal depute Laura Bruce told Dundee Sheriff Court: “At 9.45am on February 27, Miss Traill was scared for the safety of herself and others so went to Cupar police station.

“He had warned he would attend Bell Baxter High School in the belief she worked there – she does not in fact work there.

“Police went to his address and he was taken to Dunfermline police station.

“During the interview there he confirmed he had sent the messages.

“He said he ‘didn’t mean any harm’ but agreed the tone of the messages would suggest a threat, but said he would never dream of doing anything such as shooting people.”

McLean (37) of Auchterderran Road, Lochgelly, pleaded guilty on summary complaint to a charge under the Communications Act committed on February 26 and 27 this year at addresses in Dunfermline, Dundee and at his home.

Defence solicitor Paul Parker Smith said: “He did have a number of air rifles but following upon this they were seized by police and crushed and his air weapon licence has been revoked.”

Sheriff Alastair Carmichael placed McLean on a community payback order with supervision for 15 months with 180 hours of unpaid work.