Happy hike helps many

First walker home this year, Susannah Hayes from New Zealand, who has received her medal from club president Derek Mathie.
First walker home this year, Susannah Hayes from New Zealand, who has received her medal from club president Derek Mathie.

A NEW fund-raising event on the local calendar is providing a major boost for worthy causes across the country.

The combination of the Fife Coastal Path and the Rotary Club of Anstruther has seen hundreds of walkers stride out to help the charity of their choice.

This year’s hike, held on Sunday, June 3, saw 130 walkers turn up on the jubilee weekend, raising a marvellous £14,461 for 22 different charities.

It was Rotary’s third annual walk, which, over the three years, has seen a magnificent £32,600 donated to a wide range of registered charities; a tribute to people’s great kindness and generosity.

This year the weather was kind and the sun smiled warmly as walkers tramped the picturesque route from Elie to the finish in Crail. There they were able to enjoy refreshments, a warm welcome, and to receive a commemorative medal in tents loaned by the Scouts and put up in farmer Winston Kilfedder’s field.

Anstruther Rotary has offered thanks and congratulations to all walkers and their supporters – who, together, achieved such an outstanding result for their communities.

Those taking part decide which causes they wish to support and 80 per cent of money raised is then gifted to their choices, with the remaining 20 per cent going to charities chosen by Anstruther Rotary.

People of all ages took part and a good many friendly dogs were seen to be happily joining in too.

Charities large and small, local and national benefited – ADAOS £900, CHAS £60, CLIC Sargent £3050, Cancer Research UK £150, First Responders East Neuk £200, Kidney Research UK £200, MND Scotland £1200, MS Research £50, Myeloma UK £200, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy £4400, Rotary charities £2601, RNLI £100, Spina Bifida £100, SSAF £100, SSPCA £250, St Andrews Guides £120, Stroke Association £140, The Dogs Trust £180, TFCCL £100, The Leprosy Mission Scotland £80, The Vine Trust £200, WWF £80.

A Rotary spokesman said: “Charities constantly tell us that every single donation is greatly needed and hugely appreciated – and every single donation represents a real personal achievement and one that is so often made for deeply personal reasons.”

Anstruther Rotary brings together volunteers giving freely of their time, and their greatest wish is that the walk should be fun too.

Walker Jude Collins was typical of many of the participants, sending an email which said: “Had a fantastic time yesterday at the 2012 walk and just wanted to thank the organisers for the best charity walk I have ever been on.”

Now work has already started for walk number four in 2013, which will be held on May 26.

If you would like to register an interest or find out more you should contact Colin Campbell directly by email (colinc42@btinternet.com) or take a look at the Rotary website www.rotaryanstruther.org.