Kirkcaldy businessman claims roadworks have cost him £1000

A Kirkcaldy garage manager claims he has been left at least £1000 out of pocket due to roadworks in the town.

Thursday, 30th March 2017, 4:00 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:46 pm
Craig outside his premises. Pic by FPA

Craig Currie of Craig’s Motor Services Ltd. in Mill Street, says last week’s closure of the bottom section of Pratt Street for resurfacing work cut off his business to all his customers – despite transportation officials assuring him that access to his business would be maintained.

And Mr Currie said that repeated attempts to contact the relevant official at the council failed after he was passed from one person to another, eventually giving up.

“I have rented this unit for four years and last week was the worst week ever,” he told the Press.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The roadworks are due to finish this week

“I reckon I lost between £1000-£1500 because of the road closure.

“We got letters out telling us about the roadworks and the closures.

“When I checked they said they were doing it in two phases and that half of the entrance to Mill Street would be kept open at all times so we could get out and customers could get in.

“The,n last Monday they just completely closed off all the section of the road from the traffic lights at Morrisons up to Stark’s Park football ground.

The roadworks are due to finish this week

“Nobody could get through, including our delivery drivers who weren’t allowed through, and we couldn’t get anything out to customers.

He continued: “I ended up carrying car parts out on foot and one of the delivery men brought some parts in on foot and we just had to get by as best we could.

“If I had known that the whole road was to be closed off I would have closed up and taken a week off.

“I was lucky to make a few hundred pounds all week. If customers can’t get to us they will just go elsewhere.

Mr Currie concluded: “They said one thing but did another and it was us who suffered.”

Mark Dewar, service manager, said: “Access was maintained to Mill Street by undertaking the works in two phases. The road was not closed all week.

“Road closed signs were in place at both ends but clearly showed local access was available via diversions.”

The roadworks are part of a wider programme which has seen Links Street, Bridge Street and part of Pratt Street resurfaced over the past six weeks.

The programme of work has been carried out in phases, with the Links Street section done in four parts and Pratt Street from the Morrison’s traffic lights to Starks Park in two, due to finish this week.

It has been done from Monday to Friday, with roads open at weekends.