Looking back: Kirkcaldy town square late 1950s

This picture shows the Town Square in Kirkcaldy.

On the right is the familiar site of the Town House while in the middle distance, nowadays the home of Kitty’s night club, was where the main Post Office was housed.

The building was opened by the town provost, David Wright, on July 6 1956, then in 1975, it became the headquarters of Kirkcaldy District Council.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In 2012 the building was closed as work began on a £3.2m facelift which took 18 months to complete, with many of the original 50s features kept under the instruction of Historic Scotland.

It opened its doors again in March 2014 and serves as the main office for the central region of Fife Council.