Looking back: Land mines and Polish defences in Kingsbarns
Following a week of moving events organised across the region to mark the Battle of the Somme, we received a photograph which takes us back instead to World War 2.
Reader Paul Briggs submitted this image which was taken outside Kingsbarns golf club in 1940.
The gentleman on the far left is Mr John Common, Paul’s grandfather who was a postman in Kingsbarns.
Used as the headquarters of the auxiliary coast guard the photograph captures two Polish soldiers who also helped in the defence of the beach.
The note on the back of the photograph also chillingly states: “The golf course was laid with land mines.”