Man avoids jail after sexually assaulting three teenagers in their school uniforms

Dundee Sheriff Court
Dundee Sheriff Court

A Kirkcaldy man, who sexually assaulted three school girls as they walked in uniform outside their school “for the thrill”, today (Thursday) avoided a jail sentence.

Angus Cameron (66), of Culzean Crescent, launched three separate attacks over the course of almost two months outside Madras College in St Andrews.

He has now been banned from the town for a year and put on the sex offenders’ register for three.

Cameron was snared after his victims - aged 15 and 16 - went to guidance teachers who called in police.

He later admitted he had carried out the attacks for the thrill.

He opportunistically targeted all three as they walked along - reaching out and grabbing their inner thighs or groins as they walked past him.

Fiscal depute Eilidh Roberton told Dundee Sheriff Court that all three girls were in uniform at the time of the attacks.

She said the first attack took place on a 15-year-old girl on a date between December 1 and December 23 last year.

Miss Robertson added: “The first girl felt him grabbing her inner thigh and squeezing as he went by.

“This lasted for a couple of seconds.

“She shouted out ‘oh my god - he just touched me’.”

The attacks were repeated on two more occasions - on a day between January 25 and 29 this year, and on February 3 this year.

In the second attack he touched a 16-year-old girl’s inner thigh and groin, before touching a 15-year-old girl on her inner thigh in the February 3 attack.

Miss Robertson added: “At the third attack the girl said ‘that man just grabbed my leg’.

“The matter was reported to guidance staff at the school and police were called in.

“The girls were able to give an accurate description of the accused and he was traced by police.”

Cameron pleaded guilty on summary complaint to three charges of sexual assault under the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act.

Sheriff George Way imposed a community payback order with three years’ supervision and a requirement to take part in a sex offender groupwork programme.

He was also banned from entering St Andrews for a year and placed on the sex offenders’ register for three years.