Mikaeel Kular: Mum admits killing toddler son

THE mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular has pleaded guilty to killing her son.

Rosdeep Adekoya, 34, was charged with murdering the toddler but admitted a reduced charge of culpable homicide at the High Court in Edinburgh today.

Rosdeep Kular , mother of Mikaeel Kular, has admitted killing her son.

Rosdeep Kular , mother of Mikaeel Kular, has admitted killing her son.

Adekoya, described as a prisoner at Cornton Vale jail near Stirling, admitted assaulting and killing Mikaeel at the family’s flat in Ferry Gait Crescent and hiding his body in woodland in Kirkcaldy.

She pleaded guilty to attempting to defeat the ends of justice by pretending to police he had gone missing, sparking the search by the emergency services and members of the public.

Adekoya admitted repeatedly punching her son and causing his body to hit against a hard object or inflicting blunt injuries on his head and body between January 12 and 15.

She admitted wrapping Mikaeel’s body in a duvet cover, putting it in a suitcase and driving to Dunvegan Avenue in Kirkcaldy where she hid the case under a bush in woods behind a house.

Mikaeel Kular's body was found in Kirkcaldy woodland in January. Picture: PA

Mikaeel Kular's body was found in Kirkcaldy woodland in January. Picture: PA

Advocate depute Alex Prentice told the court: “The basis for the plea tendered being accepted is that the Crown accepts that the accused had no intention to kill Mikaeel and that the assault perpetrated upon him, although severe, fell short of the wicked recklessness required for murder.”

The disappearance of Mikaeel sparked a huge search either side of the Forth with entire communities united in the hope he would be found safe.

The drama started when Adeyoka called police to say her son was missing - she told officers he had got out of bed and climbed on a stool to unlock the front door of his home.

Today in court she admitted causing a major search for her son, involving police, the fire service, coastguard, mountain rescue crews and members of the public.

The police operation to find the toddler started in Edinburgh and ended in woodland behind Dunvegan Avenue in kirkcaldy.

It involved a major ground, air and sea search with many people in Edinburgh turning out to help find Mikaeel.

Adekoya had told police the toddler was last seen going to bed at about 9.00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 15.

She claimed he was missing when she and her four other children - including Mikaeel’s twin sister - woke the following morning.

After several days of searching it emerged the little boy had not been seen at his nursery since the Christmas break because he had been ill.

By the early hours of the Saturday, the worst fears were confirmed when police announced a body had been found.

The house at the centre of the investigation belonged to Mikaeel’s aunt, Adekoya’s sister.

Later that day the toddler’s body was removed from woodland behind the home.

Vigils for Mikaeel were held on either side of the Forth, with hundreds turning out on a rainy night at Pathhead Sands.