Mystery deepens further over missing man Sandy

Chief Inspector Gordon Mitchell, leading the investigation.
Chief Inspector Gordon Mitchell, leading the investigation.

THE hunt for missing man Sandy Clarke has become one of the longest investigations ever carried out by Kirkcaldy police.

Despite searches as far afield as Germany and up to 20 officers working flat-out on the case, the 37 year-old man’s disappearance is still unexplained.

Sandy Clarke missing from home - new image issued as part of police poster.

Sandy Clarke missing from home - new image issued as part of police poster.

“This is the longest , most protracted enquiry in Kirkcaldy for a long time,” said PC Mark Anderson.

“We get more and more worried every day but we have to hope he is well and we have to hang on to that hope.”

On the night of June 4, the fairground worker attended Accident and Emergency at the Victoria Hospital after sustaining a head injury in a fall.

However, he left prior to treatment and was last seen on a CCTV camera walking east towards Hayfield Road at around 2.00 a.m. carrying two ‘Sports Direct’ bags containing clothing.

He had a few days previously moved to temporary homeless accommodation in Rosyth but was expected to return home to a Kirkcaldy address that morning.

Sandy never arrived andhas never been seen since.

Police officers investigating the case told the Press Sandy had led a ‘chaotic’ lifestyle but his normal habits ceased that morning .

Since June 4 he has not used his bank account, nor made a phone call to family or friends.

He is well known locally in Kirkcaldy as well as Glenrothes and Levenmouth.

A police spokesman said: “He does have a lot of friends, people that he would normally visit on a regular basis.

“Lack of that contact is a major concern.”

“His parents are very concerned but also helping in any way that they can. they have no explanations for his disappearance.”

Following an initial appeal from the public, police received “dozens” of calls from across Fife.

Teams of up to 20 officers, using sniffer dogs, carried out searches across the Kirkcaldy area over an intensive three-week period.

Future searches will still be carried out on an intelligence-led basis.

Local police also contacted relatives in England and Germany as well as fairground companies across Britain.

Likewise , Sandy has not shown up in CCTV coverage of local train stations or bus stops - taxi firms also drew ablank.

However, police stress they have no evidence to suggest anything untoward or sinister happened to Sandy.

Appealing for help from the public, a police spokesperson said: “At this time Sandy is still classed as a missing person and will continue to be until we receive evidence to the contrary.

“We are obviously looking for any information, no matter how trivial that information might be.”

Meanwhile, external officers are being brought in to review the Kirkcaldy force’s efforts so far.

Local officers have also vowed to continue to commit resources to finding Sandy “safe and well”.

Police continue to ask members of the public to carry out regular searches of any outbuildings, such as garages, sheds and even allotment buildings, in the belief that Sandy may have been sleeping rough.

Sandy is described as being 5’10” tall with slim or average build, short brown hair.

He also has blue eyes, but his left eye has a distinctive brown patch,

He has tattoos on both arms and a tattoo on his neck with a girl’s name.

Anyone with information can call police by telephoning 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111