Police are issuing a warning over so called ‘legal highs’ following an incident at Glenrothes High School.
Officers attended at the school on Friday, following reports that a pupil had supplied one of these substances to a number of his classmates.
All those concerned were given medical attention and none gave any cause for concern.
Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding this matter are ongoing and a report will be submitted to the Children’s Reporter.
Police are now reminding the public about the associated risks of legal highs, which can contain a number of chemicals that are illegal under the Misuse of Drugs Act and can have the same effect on the body as certain Class A drugs.
Chief Inspector Derek McEwan said: “Just because a drug is sold as legal does not mean it is safe.
“Anyone who takes legal highs can have no idea as to what they actually contain and the possible harm they could cause. They are putting their life in danger.
“While the children involved in this incident appear to have suffered no lasting consequences, I can’t stress enough the potential risk of serious short and long term illness, overdose or even death that is associated with legal highs.
“We will be working closely within the school to support staff and pupils and to prevent this type of incident happening again.”
If you are concerned about this incident or drug misuse within your community, you can contact the Glenrothes Community Team on 101.