Officers averted possible tragedy

Chief Inspector Adrian Annandale
Chief Inspector Adrian Annandale

Two community police officers from Lundin Links could be in line for a commendation after preventing a potential tragedy late on Sunday night.

Fife Division’s top officer said PCs Greg Mizerny and Alan Shovlin “should be recognised accordingly” after they alerted residents to a blaze shortly before midnight at a property in Penrice Park.

Around 12 people were evacuated from their homes while the flames were tackled by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters praised the actions of the PCs, as “lives would certainly have been at risk had the fire not been detected”.

Chief Inspector Adrian Annandale, local area police commander, echoed the tributes and added his own words of congratulation on the officers’ quick thinking.

Constables Mizerny and Shovlin were on patrol in Lundin Links when they noticed a smell of smoke in the area.

They continued on foot and found a building under construction in Penrice Park – close to residential homes – was ablaze.

A spokesman said the officers quickly alerted two people inside by banging on the windows, and also evacuated the residents on either side.

The dozen or so householders were out of their homes for around three hours and accommodated by other residents in the street while the incident was dealt with, added the spokesman.

CI Annandale said: “The actions of PCs Mizerny and Shovlin have undoubtedly prevented a far worse outcome and demonstrates their commitment to keeping people safe in the Levenmouth community.

“While both officers may play down their actions, it is only right that they are recognised accordingly.”

Fire appliances from Methil and Kirkcaldy tackled the blaze in the two-storey detached house.

“The smoke was coming from behind the cavity wall in the almost-finished additional room that had been built on and was heading up to the roof space,” said the spokesman.

Firefighters managed to contain the flames and prevented further fire spread, with the incident under control by around 1.45 a.m.

The Fire Investigation Team was called and the cause of the blaze has still to be determined.