Parvovirus warning for Glenrothes dog owners
Dog owners in Glenrothes are being warned to act without delay if their pets are showing signs of illness following a suspected case of the parvovirus in the town.
The animal was diagnosed with the highly infectious virus 10 days ago and fellow dog owners are now being asked to remain vigilant, although no further cases have since been reported locally.
The warning now is for other owners to act without delay if their pets are experiencing signs of illness.
Parvovirus enteritis (PVE) is a highly contagious disease in dogs that can persist for up to a year in the environment.
Most commonly, infection is shared following contact with an infected dog, however concentrations of the virus are found in an infected dog’s faeces and can be transmitted even if the bulk of the stool has been cleaned up by a responsible owner.
Owners may notice the dog’s gums become darker than normal and an elevated rate in their dog.
If left untreated, in the most serious of cases, it can result in the death of the canine.
Sean Wensley, president of the British Veterinary Association, warned pet owners to remain vigilant.
“Parvovirus is a highly contagious infection for dogs and we understand owners may be anxious,” said Mr Wensley.
“We strongly encourage all owners to ensure their dog’s vaccinations are up to date to protect their dogs against parvovirus infection.’’
He outlined the symptoms owners need to be aware of.
He said: “Signs of parvovirus often include severe diarrhea and vomiting, lack of appetite and depression, which can be fatal especially in young and non-vaccinated dogs.
‘‘If your pet is showing any of these signs please contact your local vet straight away.”
Denise Wallace, a member of the Glenrothes District Dog Training Club said the news had been a wake up call for owners across the region.
“There has been a lot of discussion on social media regarding the possible confirmed case,’’ she said.
‘‘It is important that the message regarding symptoms and visible signs relating to the virus reaches as many people as possible so they can react quickly if their pets become ill.’’
>> What do you think? We welcome readers’ letters on our content. Send your views on this and all our stories to [email protected]