Developer’s pledge to community as it gets go-ahead for 84 homes in Fife village

A developer has pledged to keep talking to the community after getting the go-ahead to build new homes in a controversial project in a Fife village.

Friday, 14th May 2021, 10:54 am
Updated Wednesday, 19th May 2021, 12:14 pm

Cala Homes (East) has had final plans outlining proposed new private and affordable homes in Aberdour unanimously approved by Fife Council’s local planning committee.

The blueprint for 84 homes to the south of the village’s Main Street was hit by more than 800 objections when it applied for planning permission in principle.

Council officers recommended approval, but councillors rejected the plans in July 2018.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The proposed CALA development in Aberdour

That was overturned on appeal to the Scottish Government's planning and environmental appeals department, and permission was granted in May 2020.

This week, CALA outlined its plans for the development - and the work involved.

It says the 21 affordable homes within it will “help ease a severe supply shortfall in the area.”

The company said the layout has been “sensitively designed” to ensure that views across the development towards both Inchcolm Abbey and Aberdour Obelisk are maintained.

Aberdour’s Main Street will also be widened along the frontage of the site to improve traffic flow.

Read More

Read More
Huge public support in bid to save Kirkcaldy’s Polish Club

The company will also pay more than £450,000 to Aberdour Primary School, footpath provision, upgrades to Silver Sands play equipment and strategic transport projects in the area.

Steven Cooper, planning manager at CALA Homes (East), said: “We have been working hard to ensure that the proposal meets the requirements of local buyers whilst engaging with the local community to address concerns.

“Although it has not been possible to accommodate all of the suggestions made by the community council, we have been able to make some changes to the site design through this engagement.

He added: “Ahead of starting construction work on the site, we have noted concerns locally and we will ensure a continued dialogue is in place with the community council.”

Mr Cooper said the developer had been “inundated” with enquiries, including local residents, about the new homes.

The development will provide a variety of new homes, ranging from two bedroom cottage flats, three bedroom terraced, three bedroom semi-detached, and four and five bedroom detached homes, with the ability to accommodate home working.

The information in this story came from a public notice published in this newspaper. You can read more public notices in our classified section today.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.