Police are looking into whether prescription drugs in school were linked to the death of a 14-year-old boy in Glenrothes.
Liam McAlpine passed away at home in Glenrothes on Sunday.
It is thought he took his own life.
On Monday, a letter was sent out to parents that prescription drugs with “serious side effects” and “life-changing consequences” were circulating at Glenrothes high schools.
It said: “We have been made aware that prescription tablets are in circulation amongst secondary school-aged children in the Glenrothes area.
“The tablets that we know of are Citalopram, Fexofanadine and Bedranol.
“While there does not appear to be any issues with the composition of these medications, if consumed they can cause serious side effects and may have life-changing consequences.
“It is never safe to take someone else’s medicine. If you suspect that your child may have taken any of these you should seek immediate medical attention for your child.”
Inquiries are still ongoing to establish the full circumstances of Liam’s death.
A report has been sent ot the Procurator Fiscal.
Liam’s family said: “We as a family are devastated by the loss of our beloved son, grandson, nephew and brother Liam McAlpine.
“We wish to be left in private to mourn.”
Avril McNeill, headteacher of Glenrothes High School, paid tribute to Liam who she described as a “cheerful” pupil.
She said: “We are all deeply saddened by the news of Liam’s death and our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.
“Liam was a cheerful, pleasant and likeable pupil with an excellent attendance record at school.
“He will be missed within our school community. Our guidance teachers, psychological and community chaplaincy teams are on hand to offer support to any pupils or staff who may need it.”
Det Insp June Peebles, of Police Scotland, said: “Liam’s death is a tragedy and our thoughts are with his family, friends and classmates at this very difficult time.
“We are continuing our inquiries into Liam’s death.
“We would ask anyone with information to contact Police Scotland.”