Quick thinking saves ‘Muchty grandad’s life

Mr Taylor at Ninewells Hospital.
Mr Taylor at Ninewells Hospital.

THE quick-thinking actions of a group of passers-by, including a midwife, may have helped save the life of an Auchtermuchty grandad.

Eighty-two-year-old Robert Taylor collapsed while out shopping in Cupar a fortnight ago and his family believe that if it hadn’t been for the members of the public calling an ambulance and a midwife administering CPR, he wouldn’t have survived.

Mr Taylor’s grandson Rab Harris said he couldn’t express just how grateful the family were.

“My grandad is a very independent person and had driven to Cupar to do some shopping. He fell in the Crossgate, just outside Time Fitness gym and struck his head on the pavement.

“We are so lucky that people including Judy and Ben from Time Fitness raised the alarm and a midwife, Cilla Wozniak, who was passing, gave him CRP on the spot. I don’t like to think what could’ve happened if these people hadn’t been there so help; we owe his life to them.”

Mr Taylor was taken by ambulance to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee and apart from a bruised head did not suffer any serious injury.

Cilla Wozniak, of Cupar, said it was only a chance change of direction while out walking with her dog and newborn child that resulted in her coming across Mr Taylor on the street.

She said: “I saw him lying there and Judy had wrapped him in a blanket. He was unconcious, blue and had no heart beat, I really thought there wouldn’t be much I could do. I knew it was dire so I unstrapped my baby girl from my front and began chest compressions. I was aware time was off the essence.

“Although I’m medically trained I’m only used to doing CPR in a hospital setting but I knew I had to give it a go. I just kept thinking of the ‘Stayin’ Alive’ advert with Vinnie Jones and worked on him for about 10 minutes, praying at the same time. He came round just before the ambulance arrived.”

Mrs Wozniak added: “I am so glad to hear he was okay, I tried to call the hospital afterwards but they wouldn’t tell me anything.”

Mr Harris, who has been trying to thank those who helped his grandad, said that while Mr Taylor was in Ninewells doctors decided to replace his 13-year-old pacemaker with a new one.

Rab added: “I think the doctors just thought they might as well replace the pacemaker, which was getting a bit old, while he was in.”