Rat kills Virgin in Kirkcaldy!

Funny rat isolated on white background
Funny rat isolated on white background

A RAT chewing through cabling caused chaos for hundreds of Virgin Media customers in Kirkcaldy and surrounding areas.

People were unable to access television and broadband services all day on Monday and most of Tuesday afternoon.

A spokesman for Virgin Media told the Press the intermittent loss of services was due to rodent damage.

Customers spoke of their frustration at the two day interruption.

One said: “The service went down on Monday at 5.00 a.m. and when I phoned I was told it was due to a technical problem. They said it affected customers in Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and Leven.

“I work from home and need to access broadband - the loss of service left me unable to do my job.

“At around 9.00-10.00 p.m. on Monday night the service returned, but went down again at lunchtime on Tuesday. It is so frustrating. There will be a lot of people out of pocket as a result.”

Another customer said: “On Monday the television failed to load for a few hours in the morning along with the internet. We got the TV back at around 10.00 a.m. but internet was offline until around 6.00 p.m!


“I found that more frustrating than the loss of the television. On Tuesday morning we lost the television again but only for an hour or so.

“Internet went offline again on Tuesday afternoon but that was short lived, maybe two hours maximum.”

She added: “Even though it’s immensely frustrating for services not to work, I do appreciate that things break down and can be out of the providers’ control.”

A Virgin Media spokesperson said: “We’re aware that a number of customers in the Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and Leven areas may have experienced intermittent loss of their Virgin Media services from Monday morning until Tuesday evening.

“The loss of service was due to rodent damage to some underground cabling.

“On Monday morning our engineers were on site as soon as possible and worked at the highest priority to repair the damage, with service restored early evening on Monday.

“Further damage was incurred on Tuesday afternoon and our engineers returned to repair the damage.

“We’ve now put additional measures in place to prevent further damage to our cables to avoid further disruption for our customers.

“We’re extremely sorry for any inconvenience caused.”