A pair of dog owners in Glenrothes say that rat poison tablets deliberately left in their gardens could have killed their pets.
Elizabeth Crosbie said she was both shocked and dismayed after discovering four, potentially fatal, tablets in the garden at her home in Blair Avenue on Sunday morning.
She immediately reported the find to police.
And after raising the alarm with neighbours it was soon discovered that fellow dog owner Kate Harris had also found two similar tablets, one of which her Labrador dog - Chaz - had already tried to eat.
“I’m shocked that some one could do such a thing, it obviously seems to be deliberate and could have killed my dog, Kaiser,” Elizabeth said.
“We’ve had the dog for over 10 years and never had any issue with him annoying anyone, which is why I’m furious.”
It’s either an act of sheer stupidity or something more sinisterElizabeth Crosbie
“It’s either an act of sheer stupidity or something more sinister, either way it could have killed. I’m disgusted.”
And the neighbours say the incident could have had an even more serious outcome had the poison been found by a child.
“My dog had chewed one of the tablets but we acted quickly and he seems to have not suffered, but what if a toddler had found the poison?” said Kate.
“It’s very lucky there wasn’t a more tragic outcome.”
A search of the area has found no more of the poison blocks but pet owners are being warned to be vigilant and to report any new incidents to the police.
“It’s a serious incident and one that luckily has left no pet or person harmed,” said Inspector Derek Paxton.
“We would ask anyone who knows or hears anything about this incident to contact us immediately.
“The poison is sold legally in shops but we would also appeal to shop owners or staff to report any unusual or suspicious sales of such items.”