Leven’s biggest employer celebrated a special milestone this week.
Drinks giant Diageo has now been in the town for 40 years.
Opened at Banbeath Industrial Estate on September 24, 1973 the site has grown to employ up to 1200 at any one time.
Over 500 of the Leven staff celebrated the anniversary at a function in St Andrews recently and director Richard Bedford has hailed the town’s support.
“We are extremely proud of what we have at Leven, both in terms of the outstanding facilities and the tremendous workforce, who throughout the 40 years in which the site has been open, have helped build something really special for the company and for Fife,” he said.
“Diageo has invested heavily in our facilities in Fife and in our wider business in Scotland over the past few years and there is no doubt the growth in demand for Scotch Whisky, particularly in the high-growth markets of Asia, Latin America and Africa, is helping drive our business forward and Leven continues to play a vital role in that development.
“The facilities at Leven are world-class and it was great to see so many of the people who have helped the site develop over the past 40 years to where it is now have had the opportunity to celebrate its continued success.”
It originally took two years to build the site, it packages around 36 million cases of spirits per year, operating on a 24/7 basis.
It houses 24 production lines, 11 of which are dedicated to the packaging of Diageo’s world leading brands of Scotch Whisky.
These include Johnnie Walker, Old Parr and J&B which are distributed all over the world.
The others package a range of products including gin and vodka brands including Gordon’s and Tanqueray and Smirnoff.
In total 142 Diageo brands are packaged at Leven and in addition to its packaging operation, the 171-acre site also houses extensive warehousing and blending facilities.