Contractors were hoping yesterday (Thursday) to begin repairs to a property block in Cupar town centre, after part of a chimney stack broke loose and fell on to a neighbouring flat.
The incident happened on Tuesday night at The Barony in Millgate, when chunks of masonry fell through a roof into a master bedroom.
No one was injured, while it’s understood a couple in the property were moved to temporary accommodation.
The area was cordoned off on Wednesday as Fife Council representatives and building experts gathered to assess the damage. Gas and electricity supplies were disconnected and the the street will remain partially closed while repairs are carried out.
Andy Smillie, environmental manager with Dundee firm Safedem, said the entire chimney block, down to the base of the hole which had appeared, would have to be removed and the job could take around a week or so. “It’s a very awkward one,” he said, adding a “bridging effect” had been created by masonry falling from the middle of the structure.