THE group behind the refurbishment of Scotlandwell’s wash house are inviting local people to share their memories of the historic landmark.
An ambitious restoration project began last month on the wash house, together with the well from which the village takes its name, and is expected to be completed by October.
It is being spearheaded by Scotlandwell in Bloom, who have raised £105,000 to save what is considered to be a significant part of the social history of Portmoak parish.
Opened in 1860, two years after the well, the wash house was designed by the eminent Victorian architect David Bryce, having been commissioned by local landowner Thomas Bruce of Arnot.
Along with it went a beautiful walled garden and a communal bleaching green.
The wash house, well, bleaching green and garden were given to the village in 1922 and though the garden is now in private ownership, The Green is used for recreation.
The wash house was once a hub of activity, but as water began to be piped into homes its use declined and had all but died out by the 1960s.
Now Scotlandwell in Bloom want to hear from people who can remember the wash house and well in their heyday and perhaps still have items that would have been used to wash clothes.
The group are collating information to create a virtual memory bank on the website that’s currently being developed.
Anyone who can help is asked to contact Karen McDonnell on 01592 840379.