Sheku Bayoh death: '˜No police to face charges', says alleged leak

Sheku Bayoh.Sheku Bayoh.
Sheku Bayoh.

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

No police will face no charges in the investigation into Sheku Bayoh's death in custody, according to reports which say the findings of an probe have been leaked to the media.

Sheku’s relatives were rreported to be distressed after first finding out about an apparent leak by reading a Sunday newspaper.

Sheku died after being restrained by police on Hayfield Road in Kirkcaldy on the morning of May 3, 2015.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

His family have waited more than three years for a meeting with the Crown Office for the findings of an inquiry in October, but the report claims to reference leaked details that no charges would be brought against any officers involved.

The Crown Office spokesman refused to comment on reports of the leak, but added: “We are meeting the family in the near future to update them and it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time.”

Police say that on the morning of Sheku’s death they had been responding to reports of a man behaving erratically and brandishing a knife.

When they arrived, they found Sheku – who was said to be unarmed – on Hayfield Road, and officers say they tried to engage him unsuccessfully.

He was said to have fought with police.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A number of officers then restrained him, applying leg and ankle restraints.

It was said that between six and nine officers may have been on top of Sheku at the time that he lost consciousness.

He then died, and a postmortem report later detailed 30 separate injuries to Sheku’s body and head.

There are no confirmed reports of a knife being found by police.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was later reported that traces of ecstasy and the legal high Flakka were found in Sheku’s body.

It is claimed that police told Sheku’s family five different versions of events, including the initial claim that a member of the public had found him lying dead and had called an ambulance.

Sheku’s family have previously criticised the amount of time it has taken to investigate his death.

They revealed earlier this year that they intend to sue Police Scotland’s then-Acting Chief Constable Iain Livingstone. The civil action is thought to be the first of its kind in Scotland.

Get in touch and tell us your story

Twitter: @FFP