Teenage duo face ‘day of reckoning’ after lying over crash that killed Leven OAP

editorial image

A woman who lied by claiming that she was the driver of a car that fatally collided with a pensioner and her speeding boyfriend who was driving the vehicle without a licence or insurance have been warned they faced “a day of reckoning”.

Tiegan Carruthers (19) was seen after the crash that killed Linda Dunn (68) screaming and crying and saying she was “going to jail”.

The dental nurse told police she was driving in blinding sunlight and said: “I couldn’t see anything. The she hit off the bonnet first, then the windscreen, then off. I went into shock and my partner grabbed the wheel and pulled the car to the side.”

Carruthers later maintained to insurers that she was the driver and got a courtesy car after telling them: “The police have already told me it’s not my fault and there’s nothing for me to worry about but I’m not going to get charged with anything against me. It’s a complete accident and the lady walked out in front of me.”

Her partner Gregg Anderson (26) who was driving at nearly double the speed limit of 20 mph, told police: “Tiegan was driving slowly perhaps at 20 mph or less because the sun was very low and dazzling.”

He said that after the collision she could not open her door so he climbed over and opened it and got out “her side”.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that when police began examining CCTV from the town centre of Leven, in Fife, following the fatal collision on October 29 last year they realised that Anderson had been driving the Mazda car.

Police made a press appeal for witnesses and members of the public came forward and gave information that a male was the driver with a female passenger.

Warehouseman Anderson was interviewed again by police and accepted that he drove part of the car journey that day but persisted that he was not the driver at the time of the collision.

His girlfriend was also questioned and initially claimed that she was the driver, but, after she was presented with contradictory evidence, said Anderson was driving.

Advocate depute Alex Prenctice QC told the court: “The truth being that the accused Carruthers permitted Anderson to drive without a licence or insurance, that she repeatedly gave the police false information and deceived Direct Line into providing her with a courtesy car.”

“The accused Andeerson drove the car dangerously at the materiel time without a licence or insurance and he repeatedly provided false information to the police regarding his role in the matter,” said the prosecutor.

Gregg, of Alexander Street, East Wemyss, in Fife, admitted causing the death of Miss Dunn by driving dangerously at excessive speed and failing to observe the pedestrian crossing Aitken Street, in Leven. He also admitted driving without insurance and a licence.

He further pled guilty to attempting to defeat the ends of justice by providing false information to police stating Carruthers was the driver in a bid to avoid detection and prosecution.

Carruthers, also of Alexander Street, East Wemyss, admitted permitting Carruthers to drive without him having appropriate insurance.

She also admitted pretending to Direct Line Insurance that she was the driver at the time of the fatal collision and inducing the firm to provide her with a courtesy car and obtaining the use of it by fraud and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Mr Prentice said Miss Dunn had never married nor had children and lived alone at Kinnarchie Cresecent, Methil, but kept good health and was well loved by her wider family and close friends.

A family friend said: “Linda’s sudden, tragic and needless death has shocked and traumatised the family, friends and neighbours who loved her. She had no companion or children, but her rich life was full of friends and family spread around the world.”

Miss Dunn died from head and chest injuries sustained in the collision as she crossed the road.

Mr Prentice said: “The deceased has initially been struck by the bumper, then the bonnet and windscreen of the car before being thrown approximately six feet in the air landing face down on the road.”

Defence solicitor advocate Iain Paterson, for Anderson, said it was appreciated he would receive “a significant custodial sentence”..

The court heard that Anderson had previously served a one-year driving ban and his licence had expired. He had not applied to have it reinstated and because he was convicted of an alcohol related offence the DVLA would have carried out an investigation to decide if a licence request should be granted.

Defence counsel Tim Niven Smith, for Carruthers, argued that custody was not inevitable for the teenage first offender.

The judge, Lord Uist, adjourned the case for the preparation of background reports on the pair and imposed driving disqualifications until their date of sentence.

He said he would continue bail until then and added: “You should each be aware that will be the day of reckoning.”