Views as Blazers flickers out

Blazers Fun Pub
Blazers Fun Pub

The shut-down of one of Levenmouth’s most notorious pubs is being hailed as a step forward for safety and qauliaty of nighlife in the area.

Blazers Fun Pub had its licence revoked last week by Fife Licensing Board, which made a unanimous decision after Police Scotland sought a review of the premises under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.

The pub was the scene of a brutal murder in 2009 and the police report detailed other violent incidents in the years since then – with apparently little effort by the management to report them to the authorities.

Blazers’ boss Billy Laing has the option of appealing against the Board’s ruling.

Some people applauded the decision – while others defended the North Street outlet, saying other Levenmouth pubs had a worse reputation for violence.

After hearing the evidence from both sides, the Board revoked the licence, with instant effect, on grounds of preventing crime and disorder and securing public safety.

Community Inspector Donald Jenks from Police Scotland said: “These premises have an unfortunate history of serious incidents.

“Our concern was the ineffective management that contributed to the situation and the very real potential for further victims of violence.

“This decision is welcomed by Police Scotland and is a positive outcome for the community of Leven.”

Councillor Tom Adams, Levenmouth area committee chairman, said: “I am pleased Police Scotland brought it forward for review, because of all the bad publicity it’s been attracting over the years.

“Nothing had really changed sinc e the murder and it was bringing that whole area down in terms of night life.”

Cllr Andrew Rodger added: “Nobody wants to take anybody’s livelihood away from them, but the reports and statements made by the police were quite damning.”

People in Levenmouth had to be able to go out and enjoy a drink in local pubs and get home again safely, added Cllr Rodger, and licensed traders would hopefully take note of the Board’s ruling .

Neither Mr Laing nor his legal representatives were available for comment this week as the Mail went to press.

In November 2010, Kenneth Dick (45) died, 21 months after being attacked with a pool cue by David Hay in Blazers.

Hay was later jailed for life after being found guilty of his murder.