Arbroath have no answer to Waid

Waid v Arbroath
Waid v Arbroath
Share this article

WAID played hosts to Angus side Arbroath Rugby Football Club on Saturday in wet and slippery conditions.

Determined to make amends for the previous week’s loss, and with both Waid and Arbroath closely positioned in the league, the home side wanted to give themselves a little breathing room in the top half – and they duly did.

Waid attempted to batter the Arbroath line until, finally, inside centre Allan Drysdale broke through to touch down between the posts for Waid’s first score of the day. Shaw was next to score when he took off on one of his signature inspirational runs.

The rain held off but, unfortunately for Arbroath, it began raining tries for Waid. Full-back John Murray was next on the scoresheet after he ran up the wing following a pass from flanker Graham Gourlay, who off-loaded.

Winger Andy MacIver was then put into space to score Waid’s fourth try inside the first 15 minutes.

Just when things started to look grim for the visitors, Waid decided to unleash their latest weapon in new recruit, winger Mark McKenzie, whose speed could not be matched by any opposing player on the pitch.

As play was slowed mid pitch towards the sideline, scrum-half Keiran Doak increased the tempo and the ball was spun out all the way to McKenzie, who pumped his legs all the way to the opposing line for his first Waid score.

McKenzie, Doak and Shaw all picked up scores before the half-time whistle, which saw Waid up by 60 points to nil.

The second half started in similar fashion. Waid’s forwards continued to push Arbroath off the ball in all scrums.

Allan Drysdale was first to score after the restart. Stand-off for the day, Sian Linton, kept a cool head set up a nice gap for the score.

Then, after some slow play, McKenzie did exactly as he had in the first half and took it up the wing for the score.

Adam Shaw was next to score, yet again in the corner of the field, before Gourlay and then captain Shaw rounded off the day with tries.

Following the match, Shaw said: “After last week, we had a massive point to prove.

“We wanted the a huge result to show the rest of the league we are in serious contention for this league.

“There’s always room for improvement but I am delighted our boys showed up today.”

Man of the match was Allan Drysdale, who is sponsored by Stuart Hannah.

This week, Waid face Montrose away from home.