Boss baffled after points are dropped

St Andrews goalscorer Barry Sibanda
St Andrews goalscorer Barry Sibanda

Jim Hardie says he was left scratching his head after watching his dominant side take just a point from their game with Armadale.

St Andrews United continued their improved form at the weekend when Armadale Thistle visited Recreation Park for a McBookie Super League clash.

However, their fine performance didn’t transfer into goals, and the Saints had to settle for a share of the spoils after a 1-1 draw.

Manager Hardie said: “I can’t believe we didn’t get anything from the game.

“We played well and dominated large swathes of it.

“In particular, during the second half they caused us very little problems.

“If the players continue to perform like that , then we will play ourselves out of the situation we are in.”

Hardie kept the same side that had demolished Whitehills in the Scottish Cup which meant new signings Phil McGuire and Graeme Port had to be content with a place on the bench.

Thistle hit Saints with a sucker punch on 12 minutes when the visitors broke free and won a corner.

Milton swung the ball in but the United defence could only part clear it, the ball fell to Feeney on the back post, who lashed his shot back across Cargill and into the far corner of the net.

United were level on 31 minutes after great work by Kadela on the right saw him leave the struggling full back for dead before pulling the ball back for Sibanda to side foot home.

The visitors were forced into an early substitution as Rarity, who had been terrorised by Kadela, was replaced by Scott Craig.

United were given a great chance to take the lead on 50 minutes when Wedderburn was pulled down in the box, however, United’s spot kick hoodoo returned to haunt them as Sibanda saw his kick hit the keepers foot, and balloon high over the bar.

Slack defending from Saints on 65 saw Craig in space but his effort came to nothing.

Seeley thought he had scored on 68 minutes when he let fly from 25 yards only to see his shot cannon back off the cross bar.

Wedderburn was unlucky with a header on 75 minutes from a McInnes corner as Saints continued to turn the screw applying more and more pressure.

Alas it wasn’t meant to be as the visitors defence held firm and Swinburn was more than up to dealing with anything that got beyond the Thistle backline.