Club stalwarts remembered before fine win

The Blues 'Movember' team, Quintan Sanft, Jamie Moffat, Mark Wallace, Mark Graham and Gerard Queen. Photo: Michael Booth
The Blues 'Movember' team, Quintan Sanft, Jamie Moffat, Mark Wallace, Mark Graham and Gerard Queen. Photo: Michael Booth

Before the match there was a minute’s silence for two club members who passed away in the last week.

Irene Chalmers enjoyed watching firstly her son, Calum McKenzie and latterly her grandson, Gavin McKenzie and was a regular at the Beveridge Park.

The other member was George Currie, formerly a club secretary, who enjoyed attending past players lunches.

Kirkcaldy were looking to complete the double at home, while Murrayfield arrived with three Fijians in their ranks.

The opening score came when Gavin McKenzie went over close to the posts. Craig Letham converted to give Kirkcaldy a 7-0 lead.

Gavin McKenzie made a break up the wing and passed to Liam Neilson who went over in the corner.

Jesse Nawacalevero scored in the corner in the 25th minute to bring the score to 12 – 5.

Kirkcaldy replied when Kurt Littlejohn side-stepped at least three defenders to dot down under the posts,

Craig Letham converted.

Murrayfield replied with a try of their own with hooker Joe Raduva going over in the corner.

The scoring continued as Kirkcaldy kept their noses in front.

In the 52th minute Murrayfield gave away a penalty in their own 22 which Kirkcaldy ran. The ball was retained through several mauls until Quintan Sanft floated a beautiful pass out to the supporting Kurt Littlejohn who scored his second and the bonus point try in the corner, The conversion dropped just short of the posts but Kirkcaldy now looked comfortable at 30 – 10.

The play was now confined mainly in the Murrayfield half as Murrayfield played with 14 men while one of their players sat in the sin bin. The extra man advantage eventually paid off in the 57th minute with Steven Mitchell being driven over under the posts. Craig Letham converted to bring the score to 37 – 10.

Murrayfield had a sustained spell of pressure that resulted in Jesse Nawacalevo scoring has second try after Kirkcaldy had been penalised for crossing.

This ended the scoring with Kirkcaldy winning well in the end.

This was possibly Kirkcaldy best display of the season with the forwards dominating the Murrayfield pack, Rhys Bonner and Dayle Turner in particular won a lot of ball from the opposition and generally blunted a lot of Murrayfield attacks.

Craig Letham had a controlling influence on the team with his kicking from hand and bringing the backs into play at the right time.