Differing fortunes for Thistle men

Marc Skinner, Fife Thistle
Marc Skinner, Fife Thistle

There were contrasting fortunes for the two Fife Thistle teams last Saturday.

The first team lost heavily 7-1 away from home at the hands of St Andrews University in the Taylor Sullivan Funeral Directors Challenge Cup whilst the second team recorded a 6-2 win against Bridgend Athletic in the DSMFL Division Two match.

The first team found themselves 4-0 down within half an hour of the game getting underway as the students cut through a stagnant looking side.

A reshuffle at half time brought some improvement and after 57 minutes three of the substitutes combined to reduce the deficit when Band and A. Murray created an opening for Hallam who fired into the net with the aid of a deflection.

The University restored their four goal advantage just five minutes later when Okamura finished in style.

They then added two stoppage time goals.

Team – Henderson, Carson, Campbell-Lochrie (A. Murray 55), Robertson (Capt.), Wilson, Gordon (Hallam 46), Ross, Smith (McArthur 70), McShane, Ireland (Munro 60), Petrie (Band 46)

The second team faced slightly better conditions as they looked to get back to winning ways after three defeats in a row.

A quick two goal salvo turned the game in Thistle’s favour as half time approached with Cockburn scoring his first goal for the club after 34 minutes and then Munro making it 2-0.

Thistle increased their lead when captain Tulleth made it 3-0 with a long range effort.

Stewart fired home a fourth and less than 60 seconds later hit the net again, although this time his own net as he headed past Keracher.

The four goal lead was restored just a few minutes later when Sullivan made it 5-1.

Another goal was pulled back before Gorgon grabbed his first goal for the club.

Tomorrow the first team are on Scottish Cup duty when they travel to face East Kilbride in the third round of the competition whilst the second team face Dundee Royal in the league at Riverside, Dundee.