Five minute lapse costs Blues precious points

Finlay Smith converts the Blues only try of the match. Photo: Michael Booth
Finlay Smith converts the Blues only try of the match. Photo: Michael Booth

Kirkcaldy 10 Falkirk 17

The conditions for this BT National League Division Two match were bright but with a blustering wind which was flowing in all directions.

Falkirk came to the Beveridge Park as joint leaders of the division with the Howe.

After a good, but losing, performance last week at Ardrossan, the Blues were looking to get something out of this match with a 
full strength side.

The match kicked off with the Blues attacking 
the pond end.

For the first quarter of the match it looked like Kirkcaldy were the joint leaders, as they dominated possession and territory with Falkirk seeing little of the ball.

It took until the 17th minute for Kirkcaldy’s pressure to affect the scoreboard when Steve Mitchell went over from a ruck. Finlay Smith converted to give the Blues the lead at 7-0.

Kirkcaldy continued to dominate for the rest of the first half with Gavin Mackenzie putting some good kicks behind the Falkirk defence, however good organised defence from the visitors kept Kirkcaldy out.

There was no more scoring in the first half, although Falkirk did break down the left wing with Robbie Hogg seemingly in the clear and heading for the line only for Chris Mann to produce a 
try saving tackle.

The second half started with Falkirk conceding a penalty which Finlay Smith converted to increase the Blues lead to 10-0. Falkirk then began to start getting more possession and camped on the Kirkcaldy line.

They ignored any penalty attempts at goal and instead kick for territory. From one line-out they run the ball through the phases until an opportunity fell to Gary Dempsey to go over in the corner in the 63rd minute.

Logan Bonar converted to bring the score to 10-7. From the kick off the Blues lost concentration and Falkirk ran upfield with some excellent handling and Dempsey got his and Falkirk’s second try.

The conversion was just short but the try took Falkirk into the lead for the first time at 10-12. Again the kick-off was a disaster for the Blues as from a spilt ball Falkirk regained possession and again with excellent handling scored through replacement 
Benji Cottle.

The conversion was missed but Falkirk now led 10-17 to complete a disastrous five-minute spell for the Blues.

Kirkcaldy regained some possession and spent the last 10 minutes in the Falkirk half but the pick and go tactics were fruitless. Falkirk broke away in the final minute and had they handled better might have got a fourth bonus point try and also denied the Blues a losing bonus point.

Falkirk deserved their victory for being more clinical in finishing but this was another good performance by Kirkcaldy against one of the top teams in the division. The losing bonus point was no 
more than they deserved.

Kirkcaldy: K.Littlejohn, C.Mann, J.Moffat, M.Wallace, F.Smith, Q.Sanft, G.McKenzie, L.Neilson, D.Turner, S.Milne, C.Wood, S.Mitchell, G.Wallace, J.Pow, M.Thomson. Replacements: C.Hollingworth, R.Girdler, G.Neilson, A.Brooks.

Falkirk: L.Bonar, G.Lindsay, R.Hogg, G.Gilliland, G.Dempsey, H.Boyd, H.Russell, L.Miller, S.McCulloch, R.Denny, C.Hamilton, C.Ronald, K.Slade, T.Johnson, L.Skinner.

Replacements: A.Gillespie, G.Brodie, C.Wood, B.Cottle.

Star Check: 3 Steve Milne, 2 Chris Mann, 1 Gavin McKenzie.

Current Standings: 9 Turner; 8 Milne; 7 L Neilson; 5 Pow, Mann; 4 M Wallace; 3 Woods, Bonner; 2 Thomson; 1 G Wallace, Smith, McKenzie.