Away-day blues again for Star

Kennoway Star Hearts
Kennoway Star Hearts

There was away-day blues again for Kennoway Star Hearts on Saturday as they were beaten by a flattering 4-1 result.

The game started off at a frenetic pace in the opening moments, and it took just two minutes for Luncarty’s first chance of the game, Alex Williams firing a shot high and wide across Kevin Leitch`s goal.

Star won a penalty eight minutes in when Ryan Robertson dribbled to the by-line before he was sent tumbling in the box. Ryan Thompson stepped up to take the penalty, his effort was struck firmly high into centre of the goal only to see it saved by the Luncarty goalkeeper.

Seventeen minutes in, Boylan, Field and Thompson found themselves clean through after beating the offside trap, but Boylan opted to go alone and failed to beat the ‘keeper by directing his attempted lob just wide of the mark.

It was now Luncarty’s turn to miss a cutting edge chance, Lee Bremner was the difference when he tackled Williams before he was able to get a shot away, when he was clean through on goal.

Luncarty took the lead 22 minutes in when Neil Ritchie converted a back-post cross to put the home side 1-0 up. Shortly after, Luncarty extended their lead. A spectacular 35-yard volley from Williams left Leitch stranded off his line to make the score 2-0 at the half-time whistle.

The second half was quick off the mark when Star announced their intentions with a few good chances. It seemed to be a matter of time before they got back into the game, and they had a chance when Kevin Byers was fouled in the box in 53 minutes.

A change of penalty takers this time saw Robertson continue his goal scoring form by putting it to the keeper’s bottom left-hand corner.

Just as Star finally had a grip of the game, Luncarty attacked again and Star’s Ian Brown received his marching orders for a foul which seemed to be outside the box, although the referee decided otherwise and pointed to the spot. Daniel Kelly confidently sent Leitch the wrong way to restore Luncary’s two-goal advantage.

Star had a few half chances after the Luncarty penalty, but failed to make them count.

The next Luncarty goal came in the 88th minute, when Kevin Fowler received a lobbed ball through, before smashing the ball over Leitch’s head, as it crept in under the crossbar. That was the final nail in the coffin in what turned out to be another disappointing away game for Star.

KSH: Leitch, Hush, Bremner, Brown, Craig, Boylan, Byers, Field, Thompson, Robertson. Subs: Little, K.Brown, Davidson, Lornie, Anderson.