Comeback keeps KSH in the cup

editorial image

Kennoway Star Hearts made the long journey up to Forres for this their first ever Scottish Junior Cup Tie.

With eight players unavailable, the starting line-up contained six players that were under 21 years of age. The subs bench also consisted of a 16, 17 and a 52-year-old.

Part of manager Alex Davidsons team talk before the game was to keep it tight at the back and not to make any mistakes early on.

Those words seemed to fall on deaf ears as Forres went 2-0 up after only seven minutes of play.

With three minutes gone Bremner and Curran got into a fankle after a long ball over the top and Bremner headed over the advancing goalkeeper for an own goal .

Five minutes later another error found the Forres centre in acres of space on the edge of the 18-yard box and he calmly lobbed over Curran in an incredible start to the game.

KSH looked like they were still on the bus, but to their credit they battled their way back into the game with Lornie and Field combining well down the left.

The comeback was to start with 36 minutes on the clock. A Brown free-kick from the right was met by Hush and his headed effort rippled the back of the net.

With their tails up KSH surged forward for an equaliser and five minutes later George Field was impeded in the box and they were duly awarded a penalty.

Ryan Robertson stepped up to the spot and slammed the ball high into the corner of the net to level the tie.

After a half-time pep talk KSH began the second period with a lot more urgency and quickly grabbed control of the match.

A Kevin Byers free-kick was met by Thomas Hush and he again headed home. This was the young defender’s second of the game and more importantly it got KSH noses in front.

Chances to kill off the tie were being created but not converted. The most gilt-edged came after 65 minutes. Field and Lornie combined again on the left and the resultant ball across goal found Robertson four yards out, but his effort was stopped by the keeper.

Boylan followed up on the rebound and again his effort was blocked and hacked away to safety.

With 72 minutes gone Curran was called into action when a volleyed effort from outside the box was superbly pushed over the bar by the KSH custodian.

A close call for KSH and the need to get the fourth goal to kill of the game was still apparent to those supporting the side.

Kieran Band and Craig Wilson replaced Brown and Anderson as the KSH management looked to freshen up the side with time running down on the clock.

With 86 minutes gone the tie was all but put to bed. Byers flighted free kick to the back post was met by Field, who controlled and directed a slide-rule pass into Robertson, who side footed home, much to the delight of the traveling support.

This finally knocked the stuffing out of Forres and the visitors played out the remaining minutes comfortably.

KSH: Curran,Murdoch, Bremner, Hush, Brown, Byers, Anderson, Boylan, Lornie,Field, Robertson.

Subs: Band ,Wilson ,Paterson

Next match: This Saturday KSH are away to Brechin Vics in the league, 2.00 p.m.