Cupar shoot themselves in the foot as mistakes cost

Cupar's Scott McKay controls play in the middle of the park.
Cupar's Scott McKay controls play in the middle of the park.

Greig Park Rangers............3 Cupar Hearts.....................0

Spring was in the air as Cupar Hearts travelled to Windygates to face a difficult challenge against League holders Grieg Park Rangers.

A strong first half showing, despite failing to net, looked to set Hearts up for a decent second period but a crazy 10-minute spell was enough to unravel the visitors leaving them reflecting on three individual errors costing three goals.

Hearts got themselves on top of the game and a long throw by Scott McKay was collected by Lee Sibanda but his shot was blocked and Stephen Lawlor fired the rebound over.

Five minutes later a mazy run by Lee Sibanda was finished with a cheeky nutmeg but it was easily saved.

Good passing play by Cupar on the half hour mark enabled Darren Thomas to find space but his superb effort was equally matched by home goalie David Simpson.

Hearts were enjoying the majority of play but Greig Park always looked dangerous on the counter attack.

A break by Aidan Gordon through on goal saw him fire over after pressure by Darren Thomas then a shot by Kieran McGuire was saved.

Greig Park started the second half on the front foot and broke the deadlock on 51 minutes when a back pass from Charles Anderson to Darren Thomas was put out for a throw and Steven McNeill lashed the ball into the net.

They went two to the good just six minutes later when Harris Moyes was left unmarked in the box and headed in a cross.

The home side wrapped up the game on the hour mark with Dylan Muir capitalising on a defensive error and sent the ball past ‘keeper James Robson.

Tomorrow Cupar Hearts welcome Eastvale to Duffus Park in a League match at 2.00p.m.

Cupar Hearts: Robson, Thomas, Leadbetter, Anderson (c), Taylor, Mason, Sutherland, Sibanda, McKay, Lumsden, Lawlor.

Subs: Brown, McInroy and Irvine.