Dundee made to pay the penalty

Gary Naysmith and his players all said after the game they were refusing to get carried away after their 1-1 draw with Dundee at Bayview.
Scott Robinson's penalty clinched a bonus point for East Fife.Scott Robinson's penalty clinched a bonus point for East Fife.
Scott Robinson's penalty clinched a bonus point for East Fife.

The Methil players would go on and secure a bonus Betfred League Cup point by seeing off Dee in a penalty shoot out.

It meant the Fifers left the park with smiles on their faces and make no doubt about it, they were the side who deserved to be doing just that.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

At no point in the game did it appear these two sides were separated by a division with East Fife proving more than a match and totally deserving the extra point.

The Fifers got their tactics spot on, working hard to make sure that service to Dee talisman Kane Hemmings was largely snuffed out.

They started the game really well, Scott Mercer and Kevin Smith posing problems in the Dundee box.

But it was the visitors who took the lead, and the Fifers will be frustrated by the scrappy manner in which they gave the goal away.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jason Kerr’s headed clearance dropped invitingly for Hemmings on the edge of the box and with his first real sniff of goal he sent his drive in off Willie Muir’s post.

It was advantage Dundee but it was an advantage they failed to build on.

East Fife regrouped and didn’t let the tie get beyond them.

With half an hour ago the home side shuffled their pack and showed some real attacking intent, introducing Mark Lamont and Chris Duggan from the bench.

It had the desired effect, helping to peg Dundee back in their own half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With just under quarter of an hour left the home side grabbed the equaliser their play deserved when Duggan was fouled on the edge of the box.

Captain Kevin Smith stepped up and sent a sublime free-kick over the wall and into David Mitchell’s top corner.

This took the game to a shoot out with a bonus point up for grabs.

And it was East Fife who snatched it, with Muir saving efforts from Rory Loy and James Vincent.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

This presented Scott Robinson with the chance to wrap up the win, and it was one he took.

Boss Gary Naysmith said: “A League One club holding a Premier club like that is encouraging.

“It’s a start for us and I won’t be getting carried away.

“We went a bit more attacking after 70 minutes and went 4-4-2 and it worked.

“We ended the game as the dominant team again so started and ended the game well.”