Dundee Violet 2-2 St Andrews Utd

St Andrews are left deep in relegation trouble after dropping two points to bottom of the table Violet.

Tuesday, 28th March 2017, 1:34 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:51 pm
Ryan McInnes whips in a free-kick which found the back of the net.
Ryan McInnes whips in a free-kick which found the back of the net.

The draw was all the more galling given Saints gave away a two goal lead with half an hour left to play.

It was Saints who scored first from a free kick which was well taken by McInnes when he hit a curling effort past the home keeper.

The Pansies upped their efforts but Saints made it difficult what with dangerous breaks and solid defending in the area and saw the visitors from Fife go in at half time a goal to the good.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Despite Violet trying to start fast and take the game to Saints in the first period of the second half Saints scored again in 53 minutes when a good through pass to Anthony saw him put his team two in front.

Violet rallied again and pushed Saints back a bit.

For their efforts they forced a corner in 63 minutes and Scott rose above the defence to loop a header towards the goal-line and Saints failed to clear it away before it ended up in the back of the net.

The home team did live dangerously as they pushed up with Saints having several chances on the break but decent finishing let them down.

With 10 minutes to go Violet got behind Saints defence.

Mooney, the Saints keeper, was forced to come a fair bit from goal to try and block the break.

He achieved the block but the referee decided he had committed a foul on Violet’s attacking player in the area.

The resultant penalty was taken well by ex-Saints player Dignan and brought the scores level.

Saints disappointed, for the second week in a row, to have surrendered a two goal lead pushed again to try and get a third and it looked like they had it in 88 minutes when a Schiavone chip across goal, looked certain to end up in the back of the net with several Saint players queuing up to put it away.

Unfortunately the effort hit the bar.