Boss pleased with tough workout

Kevin Nade netted East Fife's second.
Kevin Nade netted East Fife's second.

East Fife 2-3 Wolves

League One’s Wolverhampton Wanderers provided East Fife’s evolving young side with a difficult pre-season test.

Kenny Jackett’s men were stunned to slip out of England’s second tier last season but still demonstrated enough at Bayview to suggest they’re a squad packed full of ability.

However, the Fifers will have been heartened with their own performance against the men from the south - particularly given that Jackett introduced a near full side of fresh legs at the interval.

Despite this, Willie Aitchison’s men kept pace with their visitors before eventually going down 3-2.

Following the game, the Bayview boss said: “It was a real test.

“I had a word with Kenny before the game and he said he intended to change most of their team at half time which he did.

“It was a big challenge for part-time boys.

“It’s only a friendly and we’ve got to be careful to focus on what we’re doing; we’re still trying to build a very new team and I think things are starting to come together.”

Bjorn Sigurdarson gave Wolves a first half lead when he poked home after Michael Andrews had parried from close range.

To their credit the Methil men continued to play a passing game with Alexis Dutot and Ismael Bouzid amongst those looking comfortable on the ball.

The Fifers pulled level shortly before the break when Joe Jackson picked himself up after being tripped in the box to slam home a penalty.

It didn’t take long for Wolves’ fresh legs in the second half to take the lead again with Leigh Griffiths netting from close range.

Griffiths then turned provide for Tongo Doumbia to make it three.

East Fife new boy Kevin Nade showed he’ll be a handful for defences in Division Two when he muscled his way into the Wolves box before picking his spot and pulling a goal back.

Overall, Aitchison said he was happy with the way the side is progressing over pre-season.

“There are one or two boys who are beginning to realise what’s needed from the coaches with regards discipline but I’m very happy with the way they got on,” he said.

“We finished the game with three youth players on the pitch and they didn’t look out of place.

“They did us with the first goal.

“They got a break and had about four players up and by the time we got to close them down they were too quick and by the time they got back they turned away from the goal which was hard to react to.

“They’re full time boys who changed around at half time and our mixture of part-time and full time young boys matched them.

“We made a lot of changes which disrupts the rhythm but for the first half of the game we didn’t really lose anything and that’s what we take out of the game.”