Brechin hit six on sorry night for Methil men

David Muir
David Muir
Share this article

EAST Fife’s worst ever result at Glebe Park and their first six goal away league thrashing in more than a decade left them in second bottom place and behind Stranraer still in the relegation play-off spot.

The home side, who just a week earlier had been thrashed 6-0 at Station Park by the league leaders and also lost three days earlier, were much too good for an East Fife side who looked a well beaten side from early on.

Although East Fife lost at Glebe Park earlier this season, they’ve had a good run previously with four straight wins prior to that.

Manager Billy Brown changed things around again with David Muir, returned from suspension in place of David White, and Craig Johnstone replacing Robert Sloan.

An early Fife attack saw home ‘keeper Andrews do really well to push a Paul Willis shot round the post, following a Scott Durie pass.

The travelling faithful must have been encouraged by the start, but it was not to last.

The home side had a chance with a build up involving Ferguson and Fusco, but Stewart’s effort was easily held by Michael Brown in the visitors’ goal.

However, it was the home side who opened the scoring, with eight minutes off the clock, in their first game at Glebe Park since February 18.

A run down the left from Pursehouse provided a cross into the danger area and Carcary managed to get on the end of it to sweep home the opener for the home side.

Brechin City continued to dominate and after 15 minutes the second goal arrived.

Again Pursehouse provided the cross and this time it was Jackson who finished off with little challenge from the Fife defence.

City went three ahead within the first 20 minutes when again Pursehouse was the provider, this time his cross found McLean who headed home at the far post, to make it 3-0 with less than a quarter of the game gone.

The home side continued to press forward with little threat from the visitors in an attacking sense.

A Bobby Barr run took him past a couple of defenders, but his final ball was easily mopped up.

It was 4-0 when, in the 36th minute, Carcary was found by Trouten and with little difficulty he sent his low shot home into the corner for his second of the night, with the Fife defence in tatters.

There was little in the way of threat from the Fifers and they went in four behind at half time and within a couple of minutes of the restart it was five.

A loose clearance was picked up by Hay whose cross found Jackson in the six yard box and he managed to get a foot on in to steer it home.

What proved to be the final goal of the evening came after 70 minutes when Ferguson collected a Trouten pass and sent his shot past Michael Brown in the home goal.

The dispirited Fifers had little to offer and the home side seemed reasonably content with their haul of six goals and there was no further scoring before the end.

Brechin – Andrews, Pursehouse, McLean, Hay, Rodger, Fusco (Brady 68), Trouten, Ferguson, Jackson, R. Stewart (Cameron 82), Carcary; subs (not used) – J. Stewart, Murdoch, Nelson.

East Fife – Brown, Durie, Johnstone, Campbell, Muir, McCormack, Willis, McManus (Keenan 66), Samuel, Barr, McBride; subs (not used) – Sloan, Gormley, Jamieson, Antell.

Referee – K. Graham.

Attendance – 471.